Thursday, April 4, 2013

Interview Assignment Article



                Since 2008 my nana has been battling lung cancer. The sickness has shown up in multiple spots on her lungs. She found out she had lung cancer after going to the emergency room for a heart attack. She said “they took an x-ray to my primary care doctor and there was something there.” It was the most disappointing surprise our family has gotten in a long time. Not knowing much about the disease before she got it, she had to get surgery to get it away. She went almost five years until “it showed up on a different area on my lung. So I went for a biopsy and it was cancer. I went on radiation [and] now its scar tissue.” There have been multiple outbreaks of theories that there is a cure for cancer. I asked what her opinion on that was and she replied, “I heard that a long time ago. It probably is true… all these doctors would be out of a job. But I don’t know how true it is. If they did have one you’d think they would come forward with it.” Usually when doctors tell a patient that the cancer is gone they are so ecstatic about it. My nana said that her doctor just said, “It is just scar tissue don’t let anyone tell you different.” In my opinion that is a rotten way to tell a patient that their cancer is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment